[Gllug] Debian gateways

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy ddrm at digital-science.net
Sat Feb 2 20:20:02 UTC 2002

Nix said:

> Avoiding GUI config tools is important. Working in text mode at the
> console keyboard is not :)

I use SWAT. I like SWAT. It works well, it's fast and it does exactly
what it was designed for. Should there be no SWAT I would cope, I have
dealt with SAMBA config files since long before SWAT existed.

My router has a nice (Win32) GUI that maintains the ACL's, Port
Forwarding and Port Filtering lists - I still have to specify all the
details myself, but it automatically constructs the lists for me, and
TFTP's them over.

I write alot of PHP code, and backend it with MySQL - I like PHPMyAdmin,
it's, sometimes, a little clunky at what it does, but when I need to
modify a table structure or do a quick query, it's a very handy tool.

And that's the key word. Tool.

I can dig holes in the ground with a shovel. I could probably dig out a
swimming pool with one, if I really wanted. I could use a JCB too.

The JCB is a tool, SWAT is a tool, my router's GUI, PHPMyAdmin and
ApacheConf is a tool. They all work - to various degrees - ApacheConf
should be burned to the ground and then soil salted :)

Someone made a tool, that tool works, when it works well, and it makes
my life easier. I use it. As long as I understand what is going on in
the background, does that make me a lesser man? I like X, hell, I like
Win32 as well, each has its place in on my desktop. People should use
the tools they have available to make their working environment as
"pleasurable" and as productive as they can.  Forgive me if I'm not
using Modules in my Kernel or SWAT for my SAMBA, I'll just live in the
dark ages.

	-Darran
--
Milhouse: We got to spread this stuff around,
          lets put it on the Internet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk