[Gllug] www.newscientist.com/hottopics/copyleft/

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 00:03:23 UTC 2002

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Jonathan Harker stipulated:
> Science is also a good magazine too, and neatly balances Nature's
> medicine/biochem slant.

Good! (although I'll admit to using the preprint servers for non-biochem
stuff, especially physics; I haven't found a biological-subject
free-access preprint server yet, maybe I'm just not looking hard
enough.)

>                         I have to say I've never read The Economist as I
> think I may be a little too cynical...

As long as you ignore the bits where they try to talk about matters
technical and the occasional bit where they get grossly biased, they're
a good read and useful.

But those bits, well, sheesh... their claims, without any supporting
evidence, that globalization is automatically good for everyone, and
things like their standing up for the grossly biased Bjorn `Skeptical
Environmentalist' Lomborg... as far as I can see their only reason for
standing up for Lomborg is that he used to be an economist, which has
painted them into the rather idiotic corner of claiming a massive
conspiracy across all of organized science to squash Lomborg's assorted
idiocies.

I don't *think* so.

--
`However, if you want to detect whether (say, 1 in 1000) cars are being
 abducted by bunnies along their route, you've got a whole new problem.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk