[Gllug] Virtual interfaces in Debian

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 09:57:49 UTC 2002

I have a remote server running Debian with several IP addresses
available to it (1 ethernet card).

I added a second virtual interface with "/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0
xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt"
(The ISP want DNS running on a different IP - not sure why)
This seems to work OK although bind is actually listening on both IPs.

To make sure it comes up automatically on reboot I added a second
section to /etc/network/interfaces
just with "eth:0" instead of "eth0" and with a different IP address.
(same netmask, broadcast etc.)

I'm a bit worried to do a ifdown/ifup because will this lock me out?
(the server is a LONG way away).
If I do a "/etc/init.d/networking restart" might this lock me out if I
have a syntax error in the
/etc/network/interfaces file?

Also is it OK to use dselect to upgrade ssh even while I'm connecting
using ssh?
Should I leave telnet open just in case?

--
Paul Brazier
Group IT

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk