[Gllug] netstat -pan --inet

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 11:47:46 UTC 2002

Paul Brazier wrote:

> I'm doing the same with a Debian box at the moment.
> I've shut down all unwanted services although I find my log gets full of
> "ident" requests.

Paul,

Try setting up an iptables/chains rule to reject rather than drop port
113 TCP.  This is IDENT/Auth.  Some applications attempt to connect to
you using it and they seem to hang around for ages waiting for a
response when they won't get one.  Rejecting it will speed some things
up a bit, I assume by letting the application know it is not going to
get a response and it can get on with what it was doing.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk