[Gllug] OT - NTL issues and ADSL providers

Dylan Brewis dylan at shinyboots.org.uk
Wed Jan 16 17:56:06 UTC 2002

Hi guys,

After several months of enquiries, I have finally managed to get some
definitive information about cablemodem Broadband service from NTL/Telewest
in my area (Deptford.)

NTL have informed me that there will be no service since Lewisham Borough
Council will not allow them to do the necessary work to upgrade the old
cabling. Does anyone know if this a legitimate position for LBC to take?

I intend to contact my councillor and MP, along with other relevant officials
at LBC, as well as Oftel, since I believe the council's position is
anti-competitive and restricts my freedom of choice. I may even contact
Watchdog!

I have no confidence that there would be any resolution to this situation, so
I would appreciate any pointers towards a non-BT consumer ADSL service
(preferably cheaper?)

Cheers
Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk