[Gllug] Advocacy required.

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy darran at rimron.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 18:05:48 UTC 2002

> which will run at a max of (say) 800x600,  or maybe less,
> so any application will look bad compared to an up-to-date PC

And no likely not have a VGSA2.0 compliant video card so not run /dev/fb and
thus ruin most graphical installers....

> Also I agree that downloading packages like, say, Evolution over
> a phone line is a non-starter.

I've already ruled this out.

> Maybe its time we asked one of the big distributions to step in.
> We have both SuSE and RedHat people on the list - would the
> editor accept a demo machine from one of them?

Or certainly something.

> Or maye we could ask someone like GND - or maybe Dell or IBM to loan
> a typical demo machine.
> Anyone have contacts there - I know there is time pressure.

I can probably whip up a demo-laptop to loan to a "roadshow" cause - I've
just had two of them die and get returned to PC-World, so hopefully getting
them back and thus will have an abundance of hardware (Laptops with
CPU's=>P2 & RAM=>128Meg would be a number around the 7 mark, at a guess)

> Just remembered - we had the thread a month or so ago about
> a 'Linux Roadshow'. Time to revive it!

If not a roadshow, certainly some sort of Linux Library, where media agents,
etc could loan (perhaps for a small fee, to go to the upkeep, running costs,
etc) a "Microsoft Free PC".

> Do we know what the time pressures are here?

Machine live by Tuesday Lunchtime.

> I don't have a spare machine to volunteer - but as my part in the effort
> will agree to drive one to this guy's house or office tomorrow.

I'm doing that on Tuesday morning to look at what he's got and set it up,
and lean on him to loan something better from me.... Unfortunatly, I'm tied
up tomorrow.... :-/

	-Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk