[Gllug] Geforce2

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Jan 22 12:29:33 UTC 2002

Jackson, Harry(HJackson at colt-telecom.com)@Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:50:02AM -0000:
> Hi all
>
> I have a Geforce2 32Mb nvidia MX (I hope all that makes sense to you) from
> Jetaway. I have had tried to configure X for this driver and as usual have
> fallen over. I use xf86config and there are only two drivers for the Geforce
> nvidia
>
> Generic 256
> Generic DDR
>
> This is for a Debian Potato Install so is it because I have got an old
> version of X or something else. I intend to install woody anyway, would this
> solve my problems.

not being a debian mainstream user, i'm not sure which version of X
thats using, but i'd hope its 4.something.greater.than.0  It does have
built in support for the nvidia chipset, but you could also try the
non-free (ooo debian people will frown down upon you) drivers.  have a
look on they're website.

personally i'd also recommend thinking about an easier distro to
install.  i.e. one that attempts to spot as muh of your hardware as
possible, and configure it.  I'm sure it's not worth stating what i use
by now.

> Please do not read if you take this stuff tooooooo seriously.
> <severe_rant>
> Is it just me or is X the biggest pain in the arse of all the stuff to get
> running on a linux box. I have had no end of installs that all go great
> except when it comes to getting the GUI running. Is there some voodoo magic
> that can be applied to get the damned thing running or are we doomed to
> trial and error fault finding every time we install. Forgive a lesser mortal
> for running off at the mouth about this but I would have thought that over
> the last 18 months these things would be getting easier. Is this a potato
> induced rant (read into that what you may). I have even tried to get it
> running on a generic card but I end up with a font that would not look out
> of place on a hill in Los Angeles. Do not come back and say something about
> how easy it is to get working or the next time I see you I will shove said
> video cards so far up your arse that you will be shittin VHS and talking
> white noise for months.
> </severe_rant>

bak in the old days, when i was on a students budget, i invetstigated
exactly what hardware was surported, before i bought it.  I'd make damn
sure that everything in the system would work under linux and windows.
well OK, everything works under MS.

So before you go off ranting about supported hardware, consider this:
linux is not windows.  It hasnt always had such good support for
hardware.  Its much better now tho.

-v

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc