[Gllug] XFree86 v4 modelines

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 10:55:34 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 10:39:26AM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> BTW, anyone manage to get XFree86 to autogenerate modelines for
> non-standard resolutions? ESR's XFree86 Video Timings HOWTO claims
> that it will do so if you just specify the resolution you want, but
> for me (with XFree86-4.1), it doesn't for me. I was wondering if it
> only did it for VESA modes (which I don't want). I'd write my own
> modelines, but I can't find the full specs for my monitor (I have
> refresh rates, but not bandwidth or porch timings).

I've got a similar problem with my Libretto 100, which has a 800x480
LCD screen.

It worked fine in RedHat 7.2 using either XFree86 v4.x or v3.x. But I
then moved to Debian testing and it now complains that 800x480 is an
invalid modeline even when I hardcode it into the XFConfig-4 file.
XFree86 v3.x on Debian works fine with the modeline.

Alas I did not keep a backup copy of the XFree86 setup from RedHat 7.2,
and don't have the disk space to move back.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk