[Gllug] London councils and Unix/Linux

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 20:07:05 UTC 2002

Jonathan Dye wrote:

> At 10:58 11/01/02 +0000, you wrote:

(actually, I didn't:)

> >Some of these old boxes have the graphics card as part of the mother board
> >(eg Dell does this a lot). What happens if you put a new graphics card
> into such
> >a m/c ? How do you force it to use the new one ?
>
> In my experience there is usually a jumper on the motherboard to disable
> the onboard graphics.

With Dells you sometimes just have to put the new card in the first PCI
slot and it will pick it up and prefer it. Dell are very helpful about
this sort of thing. As long as the sticker with the model code is still
stuck to the back of the machine, they will give email support and
answer questions like this quite readily. It doesn't matter how you
acquired the machine. This, and their generally good build quality is
why I like them (despite their having dropped Linux).

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk