[Gllug] OT travel in town

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 12:01:33 UTC 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:41:40 +0000 George Saxby wrote:

> Hi, well this will put you off your lunch is it true or Urban Myth I
> know we have lurking Uni types on the list who may be able to dig
> around

God knows what stuff is lurking on the grip bars on the tube, South-West
trains and on the escalators hand grips.

However, it is still scary stuff.  Given the technology that we have now,
I just wish more employers would look at teleworking so that we can give
the tube a miss and just let the blasted tourists use it.  I have ADSL at
home, a good well-specced machine with software to boot, a telephone,
scanner, webcam and access to a fax machine.  I could easily work from
home and be very productive there, but nope.  The boss does not allow it.
I just sit in a machine room all day - fans blasting at me lugholes all
the time and if the boss wants to communicate with me, he does so through
the office phone.  What's the difference if I sit at home and do the same
thing?  Sure, my wages would probably be much lower if I did work from
home, but the money saved and the potential health benefits of not
travelling to and from work on dirty Underground trains would more than
make up for it.
That's my rant of the day over.

Regards,

	Martyn