[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Mon Jan 7 02:51:16 UTC 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Pete Ryland wrote:

> Well, I'm hoping that the predictions of a first quarter upturn are right.

Don't kid yourself.  There might be a second/third quarter upturn in the
*US*, but the way things are going here there won't be an upturn this
decade.  Most of us here can find jobs the easiest with startup - people
who need a Linux guy right now, and are willing to pay for it.  Countries
that get lots of startups don't have IR35 or a whole set of things that
make starting your own business a prison sentence in the UK today.

> Dealing with sharks of recruitment agents is starting to give me the shits.
>
> Actually, while we're on this topic, can anyone tell me whether an
> Australian accent or Australian work experience are seen as a bad thing?

Neither here nor there.  What matters is the British/EU passport.

> I.e., in what light would an English recruitment agent see an Australian,
> noting that I have a British passport and intend to stay for some time?

Tell them you are here for good (even if you aren't).  You could come from
Mars for all anyone in IT will care.

Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk