[Gllug] Working with Linux

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Jan 7 15:40:35 UTC 2002

On , 7 Jan 2002, John Hearns wrote:
>On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 15:19, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>>>That being one of three perfectly justifiable pronunciations. What's
>>>your point?
>>Not to start a flame war, but the point being, it was always called
>>Linn-ucks. It was only when the ignorant masses became involved that
>Before the flame war does break out,
>the question is well answered here.
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/SillySounds/

I think everyone's heard that, haven't they?

Linus's pronunciation of it (then) is certainly not 'Linnux', it's
more like 'Leenoox'. So that's one, but hard to do if you're not
Scandinavian.

'Linnux' I think is meant to be an approximation to 'Leenoox' for
English speakers. That's two.

'Lienux' stems from the fact that while the name 'Linus' is pronounced
'Leenoos' in Finland, it's pronounced 'Lienus' in English-speaking
countries - and, indeed, that sound does make it clear that it's meant
to be a derivative of his name.

So, no, that sound doesn't answer the question - unless the answer is
that any of 'Leenoox', 'Linnux' and 'Lienux' is OK.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk