[Gllug] RCS or SCCS

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 3 11:32:44 UTC 2002

>I am in need of some form of versioning control. Please do not say CVS as
>this is not an option because I am not an admin on the box in question and I
>am not in a position to get anything installed. I have just the basic HP-UX
>11 with nothing else on there. . What I want to know which one is the best
>to learn and which one am I most likely to encounter in the future on
>different systems.

SCCS, purely because it'll be installed by default (hopefully).
If your HP/UX box comes with a compiler, you could compile up RCS
instead. Note that both of them are file based. There isn't, AFAIK,
a free changeset based version control system. Those all cost various
quantities of money, and for the most part, don't come with source.
If you're interested in that sort of thing, though, then look at
BitKeeper, TrueChange, Perforce or ClearCase.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk