[Gllug] Help with recruitment agencies

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 2 14:18:38 UTC 2002

> On the whole, however, I have much more luck getting jobs with
> approaching companies that I've been interested working for.  I've
> generally had very good responses from those that I have approached.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Martyn

I've been going over this sort of thing and the recommendation I got
recently was to spray emails to all available, remotely relevant, email
addresses for a company you'd like to work for (you wouldn't normally hassle
the web master for a job - unless you're looking for work as a web
designer). Hassle the receptionist to leak the CIO's name, phone number, or
email address. Oh, and send a resume to the HR people while you're at it; if
they're having an off day they might be useful.

Basically - spam works. Become an annoying recruitment dweeb.

The rationale is that there are people who'd really quite like to hire
somebody if the right person would just fall into their lap without effort.
This tactic needs well written, tactful, personalised messages if it is
going to succeed. It's a lot of work and it's not for everybody.

Personally, I'm not sure I've got the patience or enthusiasm to make this
approach work. I'm more of a "I'll get a slacker job - dish pig, counter
jumper, shelf stacker - to pay for food until I find a real job" kind of a
person. I suspect this attitude surprises nobody. I find spraying CVs to all
and sundry, and then following up whatever leads I find, is already enough
to keep me on the "fries receiving" side of the economy.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk