[Gllug] RCS or SCCS

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Wed Jul 3 13:26:55 UTC 2002

* Jackson, Harry <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> spake thus:
> Hi all
>
> I am in need of some form of versioning control. Please do not say CVS as
> this is not an option because I am not an admin on the box in question and I
> am not in a position to get anything installed. I have just the basic HP-UX
> 11 with nothing else on there. . What I want to know which one is the best
> to learn and which one am I most likely to encounter in the future on
> different systems.

You can use `arch', it can be installed locally, I think.

It is my preferred revision control tool. It has advantages over CVS
such as being able to use multiple repositories, renaming of files and
directories etc (the selling feature for me; I *always* end up wanting
to change names of files  ;)

	http://regexps.com/arch.html

The only shortcoming I've encountered is that it does not (yet, I may
add) allow per-file commit. It's still much easier to work with than
CVS, mind you...

If you decide to try it out, here's a quick and dirty tutorial to get
you started:

	http://superbeast.ucsd.edu/~landry/larch

(After you've read this, the `arch' documentation is more than adequate,
it just fails to deliver on the first fumbling steps level.)

Stig

--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk