[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 21:02:08 UTC 2002

Hi all,
This is a belated thankyou to Richard Cohen and Tet for their helpful
messages relating to my previous woes. I have now created some bootable
cdroms and I can confirm Tet's assertion :-
> > Nope. The bootableness of a CD is determined by the contents of the ISO
> > image, not by how it's written to the CD. Thus if you already have an
> > ISO image, but it's not bootable, you're pretty much out of luck.
I have found that "cdrecord -v dev=0,4,0 /path/to/file.iso" works very well
for a bootable .iso file. However I don't know how you go about finding out
if the file is bootable before running this command.
The other useful, (for educational purposes), command I have found is
"xcdroast -d 1"  which displays the commands as they are sent to the shell
whilst using X-Cd-Roast.

I now have a number of burnt bootable CdRoms which are probably not much use
to me including Gibraltar 0.99 (Debian based Firewall CdRom). Linux-Mandrake
SNF 8.2 and a spare RedHat 7.3  Disk 1 Cdrom. Anybody who wants any of these
can email me and I'll post them off.

Richard Cohen's description of making bootable CdRoms wasn't quite what I had
in mind when I made the posting, but I found it very interesting.
I would like to ask how difficult it would be to take a well known distro
like Mandrake or Redhat and then take off a few files/ add a few files to
create a bootable cdrom with some special interest files? The reason I am
asking is because I'm thinking that this is what, amongst other things, the
open source project I'm involved in called OIO - Open Infrastructure for
Outcomes should be doing to promote more uptake. One of the main problems is
difficulty with installation which requires ideally Apache, PostgreSQL, Zope
and the OIO package to all be installed correctly. This, for the target
audience of medics/ healthcare workers is asking a bit much.

--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk