[Gllug] windows and linux client server

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Jun 24 17:15:45 UTC 2002

>I'd look at Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) as a basic client-server comms
>technology (there's whole bunches of stuff about RPC on the net) - it's
>free, open, well known, reliable, etc.

Just to add some confusion, there's a whole variety of RPC standards
to choose from. The two main ones are ONC RPC (backed by Sun, originally),
and DCE RPC (backed by DEC, IIRC). Although various people will debate it
until they're blue in the face, ONC is generally considered the superior
solution, primarily due to the use of XDR, which means the client and
server don't need to know anything about each other in advance. Naturally,
Microsoft's RPC solution is based on the DCE version...

But apart from that, I'd agree with Richard. RPC is a good way to get
machines talking to each other, and unelss you sepcifically need the bulk
of CORBA or similar, you're better off sticking with RPC.

Tet

PS. A word of warning, here. Everyone gets it wrong once in a while, and
    RPC is where O'Reilly tripped up. Avoid "Power programming with RPC"
    like the plague. It's an *awful* book. Completely different in style
    to their other books, and not even close to their usual high standards.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk