[Gllug] sid & kde3

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 29 16:24:34 UTC 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Matt Amos said:
>                                                        the new gcc 3.1.1

The what? I'm sure it hasn't been released...

[taptaptap]

No, it hasn't.

Do you mean the head of the 3.1 branch, or 3.1?

> the C++ performance hit is very much reduced, too.

The inliner has stopped being quite so silly, but -O3 is still a rather
bad idea. Perhaps GCC-3.2 will be better; there are fixes on the
ast-optimizer branch that should make a good bit of difference there.

(And if you use prelinking, it'll be reduced yet more, with the downside
that LD_PRELOAD won't work for the KDE libs anymore.)

>                                                    in contrast gnome 2.0
> is virtually impossible to compile from scratch and the dependancy hell
> requires a set of scripts to do the build for you!

But it doesn't look as horrid as KDE, and it doesn't use a demented
distorted ugly broken dysfunctional core-dumping slow horrible
preprocessor[1], and its C++ bindings are substantially nicer than KDE's
(why oh why does Qt, even Qt 3, reinvent half the C++ standard library
in a completely and totally half-assed way that shows their lack of
understanding of anything the STL part of that library is about?)

*cough*

Pardon me. I don't like GNOME much, especially their apparent belief
that all you need is CORBA bindings for something and you don't need to
write bindings to any decent scripting languages at all, and Miguel's
apparent desire to add everything that's most broken about Windows into
Unix, but it's still a hell of a lot nicer than KDE, from the
infrastructural point of view.[2]

(But KParts is quite nice.)

[1] I don't even like cpp: but there is *no* excuse for moc.

[2] this is of course the only view I pay much attention to ;}

--
`What happened?'
                 `Nick shipped buggy code!'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk