[Gllug] windows and linux client server

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Jun 24 16:28:49 UTC 2002

I'd look at Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) as a basic client-server comms
technology (there's whole bunches of stuff about RPC on the net) - it's
free, open, well known, reliable, etc.

For more sophisticated problems there's the whole field of middleware: JMS,
CORBA, you name it... I currently work for TIBCO and we do most/all our work
in EAI which is a fancy way of saying "get some computer(s) to work with
some other computer(s)".

The current buzzwords in the "one computer talking to another" space are
SOAP, web services, and other XML based technologies.

To get more ideas take the key words above and throw them at Google and see
what comes back. All of these things are tried and tested on Linux, Windows,
and everything else.

VB is sort of easy to work with, but not really, when it comes to doing this
sort of thing (it's too open for Microsoft to take much of an interest).
Maybe VB.net will offer support for the non-Microsoft version of SOAP and it
will become a piece of cake. Maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt too.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk