[Gllug] installing dpkg and apt on a non debian system?

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Jun 24 09:20:54 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 03:49:56PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:22:17AM +0000, Ian wrote:
> > Hi, one of my firewalls (once could be called a mandrake 7 system) is getting
> > on a bit, its as uptodate as i can, (ive compiled and installed crap, and not
> > used rpm for yonks) however as its my only 'non debian' box i was wondering
> > about exposing it to the wonders of apt and dpkg,
> >
> > yes it could be a whole lot quicker to just bung in the potoato cd and dist
> > upgrade to sid, but could i just bung in a dpkg system?
>
> No.  You can't just turn one distribution into another, even whem they
> are both rpm based.  Your best course would be to build another box with
> Debian on it, duplicate the config as closely as you can and then swap
> them over.  That way you can always plug the old box back in if you got
> it wrong.

Bruce is right about turning one distro into another, but you might
want to look at apt for the rpm based systems, or (since this was a
Mandrake box) urpm. Both of these have been discussed on the list a
couple of times (quite recently, actually. Take a look in this month's
archives for a thread started by Jim (I think))

Since you want the system to "feel" like debian, take a look at the
apt solution first ;)

Some useful links:

http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/
http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Simon

--
Bruce: How is Alice?
Vince: She had a "succesfull" demo against a bunch of archaeologist's

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk