[Gllug] Sony Vaio on Death Row - Low Battery Warning

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Wed Mar 13 20:18:11 UTC 2002

    Axel> I just wanted to make you aware of the fact that Sony Vaio
    Axel> batteries run flat after less than 30min.

Depends on the model and how much power's being drawn, obviously.

    Axel> the pack supplied with their FX405s is a 'light' battery and
    Axel> only supposed to last 40min (idle)!

Yeah, mine can get that low, but certainly not in idle; and I have a
quad-cell battery for when it does that'll give at least two hours for
doing just about anything.

    Axel> Not to mention the complete absense of *nix knowledge ("Linux?
    Axel> Is that a Windows add-on?").

Regardless, the drivers are there - I have every feature of my Vaio
(USB, sound, APM etc) working under Debian.

    Axel> I recommend not to buy any Sony VAIO products!

I don't share that recommendation.  I like my Vaio a lot - only issue I
have is that the keyboard is fragile and small, but that's because I
have a (small, but not tiny) 505 series rather than a bigger model.

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk