[Gllug] Perl Objects

Simon Wilcox simonw at simonwilcox.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 12:07:04 UTC 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jackson, Harry wrote:

> I am trying to make it so that I can write scripts similar to the following

Which seemed to be missing.

> I am not completely sure as to the best way to do something like this but I
> do need a shove into which area of Perl is built for this kind of work. I do
> not need an example as I find Perl quite easy to pick up (at least so far).

I would recommend Dave Cross's book Data Munging with Perl data munging
generally.

http://www.manning.com/cross/index.html

I learnt a lot about structuring data munging programmes (basically he
advocates a *nix like pipeline/filter approach).

>                                        Can you represent tables as
> Objects and select only that which you want to work on into a file. I
> imagine that some clever bunny has already done this in some module.

Class::DBI might well do what you want.

http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Class-DBI

> Any constructive uncomplicated easy to understand simple comments on the
> script will be appreciated which probably means none ;-).

ENOSCRIPT.

Simon.

--
"Who's pig is this?"