[Gllug] Sendmail + SuSE 7.3

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Mar 16 13:12:23 UTC 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 03:07:25AM +0000, Harvey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:15:09PM +0000, Roger Whittaker wrote:
> > Try using postfix.
>
> Sorry, but are you being serious?

What is it you think you are gaining from running Sendmail on a home
system?  What experience or secret knowledge of Postfix do you have that
would make you treat it as a joke?

Exim is my mta of choice these days but I still use Postfix in places at
work, particularly on our front-facing mailhost as Postfix has both an
extremely secure design and a high throughput.

There are advantages to using Sendmail:

1.  It is configurable to the extreme - but only if you have learned its
arcana: the m4 hacks don't let you do the full mail-architecture rewrite
you can do by editing the rules in sendmail.cf.

2.  It supports a range of legacy services (uucp etc) and pre-internet
routing/delivery settings that more recent rivals do not.

3.  It is the default mta on commercial Unices.  Skilled sendmail
administrators can earn serious money (see point 1).

But how much of that is relevant to you?  Revisiting the points:

1.  a) Have you put in the serious time to learn Sendmail thoroughly and
b) do you need that level of complexity?

2.  How many pre-internet systems are you running?  Got a Fidonet
account?

The advantages of running Postfix at home are that it is very simple to
set up and has a much more secure design (so any misconfiguration on
your part is much less likely to leave you exposed).

Roger's suggestion may have been a bit cheeky but it wasn't a joke.

> Thanks to those who replyed, but I cheated and put set
> hostname=clara.co.uk in my .muttrc.  Sorry ;)

That won't stop your mail being rejected by some systems unless you have
at least set up envelope re-writing.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"