[Gllug] Sony Vaio

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Fri May 3 08:38:41 UTC 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002 08:28:34 +0100 Huw Lynes wrote:

> On Thursday 02 May 2002 19:45, Tushar Joshi wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience with the Sony Vaio FX501/601
> > laptop ranges and have any opinion of them?
> >
> > I've decided to buy a FX604 after my last one got stolen
> > but there are so many out there it's hard to choose.
>
> Sony Viaos are my leading cause of non-work related suport. We have
> had three people have parts failures on their machines so far this
> year. From what they have told me Sony's support really sucks

And just to add to this - Red Hat 7.2 incorrectly identifies the
graphics card on my Vaio and have to install the right X Server
manually.

I've also ran into problems with the HD timing out a fair few times
which doesn't happen at all under Windows, and thus stuck with Windoze
on that machine for the forseeable future.

I'd also avoid Advent machines (those sold by PC World) - they're even
worse than Vaios.

Regards,

	Martyn

Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk