[Gllug] ssl certificates and imaps

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu May 9 21:19:28 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 18:14, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to have secure access to my mail on a remote box so I thought I'd
> try imaps which i understand is imap tunneled in ssl/tls.
>
> I've got my imap server to listen as imaps on the relevant port and can
> connect using a remote client but the client complains about the certificate
> being for a different host.  I didn't generate the certificate (must have
> been done by the installer) but I want to generate a correct one.  I guess
> openssl is the thing to do it but I have no idea how and the man page is
> useless.
>
> Any pointers?
Red Hat generously provide a Makefile at  /usr/share/ssl/certs

you can then make your own stunnel.pem etc.

If you read the Makefile all the commands are easily shown.

This will allow you to make your own certs.  If you connect using a
standard mail client it will still complain that it is not from a
recognised body - but at least you can accept it forever.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk