[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun May 26 10:02:43 UTC 2002

Mats Hulten wrote:

> I belive that much of the trouble I'm experiensing is related to the
> fact that I did not have access to the net when installing the base
> system, as my ISP requires that you log on to a webpage before gaining
> access to the net (I've addressed this issue in the forum
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3198 ), thus I have failed to
> run some emerges and perhaps a few other things as well.

Yes, that would be a problem, emerge almost always requires Internet
access.

> Normally I could access that page from Win2K (that I'm currently using),
> but when I set up GRUB i kinda destroyed the bootloader for Win2K... :-O
>
> Right now I'm leaning more to the option of using fdisk to remove
> Gentoo, and start over with a stage 1 or 2 installation instead...

A stage 1 or 2 install will need more Internet access. I think you need
to keep your dual boot at least until you get to the point of having a
web browser in Linux. I see that the instructions include an example of
dual booting with NT; 2K will be the same.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk