[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 23 21:10:13 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:42:37PM +0100, Ian wrote:
> I suspect that most beginners without any sort of *nix background would
> take one look and run away to something like Mandrake. But if you have
> it working, and you're getting on with it, stick with it as ultimately
> it will be the more rewarding experience.

And I would make one big recommendation: don't bother with X yet.  Stick
at the console and see how much you can get done there.  Learn to
control the system at the cli, edit config files, navigate the
filesystem, find documentation etc.  Get your internet connection
figured, set up console mail and news clients, learn to use a text
browser.

That might take you a month or so, depending on how much time you have
to give to it.  But it would be worth it.  By the time you came to
configure X you'd have no problem troubleshooting that or any other
procedure.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.