[Gllug] nvidia drivers

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Sat May 25 19:42:47 UTC 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Harry Jackson wrote:

> What do I have to do to get it working. Do I need to install a new
> kernel and if so can someone tell me what package I can use to do this.
> I have not seen any 2.4.18 source kernels in dselect against unstable.

Hmmm, I am using testing and it does have kernel-source-2.4.18 (apt-cache
search kernel-source) although man apt-cache will most likely be useful in
future so you may want to take a look at some point)

Anyhow in Debian I just tend to grab the kernel source from kernel.org and
don't bother with the debian source packages. Anyhow get your source stick
it in /usr/src/ as normal then do the make x/menu/config whichever now for
the clever debian part (you will need kernel-package installed though)
instead of doing the make modules && make bzImage etc. etc. you can use
the command make-kpkg --revision harrysnewkernel1.0 --kernel_image and it
will generate a .deb for you and stick it in /usr/src/ which you can
install with dpkg and it should sort out all the boring things like lilo
etc. for you.

/me has really really tried hard to make that short, and it is most likely
confusing now also... anyhow man pages for make-kpkg and apt-cache and the
net may help here...

Anyhow you should then be able to build the Nvidia modules... but what
card do you have? most cards should be supported by the standard nv
driver? It seems as though something else may be broken already here. Let
me know what card it is anyhow as I can give you a XF86Config-4 that works
with Debian and you can see what happens then.

Adam
--
Adam Bower
"a funny thing about regret is, that it's better to regret

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk