[Gllug] grub and dual booting with windoze xp

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Nov 7 09:20:49 UTC 2002

)

> I'm unable to boot with GRUB. I just get the "GRUB" prompt and the system
> hangs. Restoring the MBR with fixmbr gives me windoze xp back, and booting
> linux from the installation CD gets me that back.
>
> My menu.lst file is shown below. Note that with the gfxmenu line commented
> out, GRUB gets past the prompt only to fail with either error 21 or 23 (I
> can't remember which, but 23 is probably right).
>
> I've tried various methods such as installing the bootloader on the root
> partition, copying it to a floppy with dd, putting it on the C partition
> and editing boot.ini appropriately. This still gives me the "GRUB" prompt
> and a hanging system.
>
> What have I missed? /boot isn't the first partition on the linux drive, and
> C isn't the first partition on the windoze drive. Is there a 1024 cylinder
> limit as there is with LILO? From what I've read GRUB can cope with NTFS.
>
> My menu.lst file:

I had a similar problem a while ago with an emachine system

neither Lilo nor Grub would boot from the primary hard drive

I did manage to get the system to boot from the seconday hard drive via
some bios twiddling and this worked for linux but not for windows.

I /think/ I tried switching the disk around - but ended up installing
grub on a floppy and booting from that !

I googled for ages and couldn't really find anything but came to the
conclusion that I hadn't done anything wrong... I just figured that the
emachine was wierd ;)

anyway running grub from floppy is slow but much faster than a full
floppy boot as the kernel is still on the hard drive

--

Sean

(ready to be embarresed if there is a much better solution to this :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk