[Gllug] Find in FTP ?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Nov 12 13:12:26 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, George Saxby wrote:

>     If I ftp to a site is it possible to do a site search for a particular file name? If so how?

No this is not supported in FTP however some sites are kind enough to
provide a listing. Look for a file called ls-lR or something similar.

Alterntively you could write a script that connects and recursively grabs
a listing so you can search that listing locally. Maybe one of the mirror
scripts already has something like this available.

If the site supports rsync you could use the dry run method to grab a
listing.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk