[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Nov 26 10:02:41 UTC 2002

"Daniel Andersson" writes:

>> There are localised exceptions, of course. "You was" is commonly heard
>> in Saarf London ("you was robbed"). Equally, head up to Yorkshire, and
>> you could be told "I were on my way t' pit".
>
>but isn't that due to stupidity? the WAS-part that is, not the
>yorkshire-part..

Yes, it is. In both cases, BTW, not just the "you was". Or perhaps not
stupidity (although I wouldn't rule it out), but definitely ignorance.
Quite how it's possible to get through school without learning at least
some minimal grasp of the English language is beyond me, but somehow
people manage it.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk