[Gllug] Network installs

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sat Oct 19 13:09:10 UTC 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Andrew Black wrote:

> Can someone give me an overview of what network installs are about?

In a nutshell a network install is simply an installation where all or the
bulk of the installation is carried out using package sources on another
host.

The method is ideal for systems that lack a suitable media drive or in
situations where you have a local mirror of your preferred distro (or even
a very fat pipe to the 'net) and don't want to bother carrying around a
set of CDs to install from.

> Reason I ask, I am trying to install onto a machine that I think has a
> dodgy CD drive.  I was wondering if I could put a linux image on another
> machine and install it accross my LAN.

You certainly can.

Pretty much every major distro supports some form of network installation.

If you are still having trouble with the install you might consider
bringing the box to the Install Fest on the 2nd November (if you can wait
that long) and then there will be people on hand to help you through the
process.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk