[Gllug] Confiuring Fetchmail with Demon

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 20 13:36:39 UTC 2002

On Sun 20 Oct, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> On Oct 20 2002, Chris wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    I had a local smarthost mail server ("postman") running Debian 2.2 with
> > Exim and IMAP, receiving SMTP mail from the Demon mailserver at
> >
> > post.demon.co.uk
> >
> >    I was about to get Demon ADSL with POP3 only, so I decided to re-load it
> > with Debian 3.0 (kernel 2.4) and add Fetchmail so that it could run in
> > daemon mode, polling the POP3 server at Demon every few minutes.

> So, you're saying that the multidrop don't time out? Hmm.

   Frequently, not as much as they used to, but I am not too bothered if the
mail is delayed for just a few more minutes.

> >    I have made several attempts at finding the correct commands from the
> > selection list in the manual, but fetchmail refuses to start, and both
> > fetchmail --verbose and --configdump report that no mailservers have been
> > specified.
>
> poll pop3.demon.co.uk proto sdps user username+hostname \
> 	with pass XXXXX is localuser here
>
> ... would be the obvious guess at a line that worked, but I'm sure
> you've already tried that. Can you tell us how you call fetchmail?
>

> Stig
   I am using the Debian 3.0 kernel 2.4 stable version, and fetchmail is
called in daemon mode at start-up (reports "failed!").
   It looks from the documentation as though it should be simple to
configure for a multidrop server as used by Demon, polling for a multidrop
just once and specifying a list of users, as long as the server options are
given before user options. It should work with SDPS or AUTO, but has so far
worked with neither.
   I am not too clear about whether some of the options relate to system,
server, or user, (nor what should be done when collecting mail from more
than one ISP or server, with a different set of user options).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk