[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 19:45:50 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:

> Jonathan Harker writes:
>

> >For a very good book on C++ from the horse's mouth, I recommend Bjarne
> >Stroustrup's book The C++ Programming Language. It is only available in
> >dead tree format, but I refer to it all the time.
> >  http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
>

> No, no, no!!!!! I'd recommend that *anyone* learning C++ stay well
> clear of this book. The guy may have designed the language, but when
> it comes to explaining it to others, he's useless. It's apallingly
> written (in stark contrast to K&R, for example), and there are *far*
> better alternatives available. I quite liked "Teach yourself C++", by
> Al Stevens, MIS Press (beware the numerous other books with the same
> name).

too late - I bought it a while ago

Larry Wall's Programming Perl gave me false confidence

still - it is usefull as a reference - just hard to read without
understanding templates.

I think I'll try and make more use of Bruce Ekels book - I much prefer
online references anyway

One thing that I'm not used to is that much of C++ seems to be
implementation dependant.. even amongst compliers that claim ANSI
compliance.

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk