[Gllug] Which IMAP for Debian?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Oct 15 23:02:41 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:45:05AM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 08:19:51AM +0100, Robin Smith wrote:
> > I want to setup an IMAP based mailbox on my main Debian server.
> > Which one should I install?
> >
> > I will be accessing it locally with evolution and remotely with my
> > Zaurus.
>
> 2) Courier IMAP. Part of the Courier email system but usable on
> it's own. Reads email from Maildir directories, so that limits
> your choice of MTA/MDA to Qmail or Courier, or you might be able
> to use one of the others with procmail (never tried that). Shared
> folders are possible but difficult, as they use the underlying
> file permissions and so often need shell access to change.

The Courier MDA will interact with Sendmail, Postfix and Exim.  I don't
know about Sendmail or Exim but with Postfix it is a simple matter of
commenting out 1 line and uncommenting another.

I am a big fan of maildir and they solve many problems of mail clusters
using NFS mounts.

Shared folders are well documented and relatively easy to set up but you
are then into the realm of virtual mailboxes etc.  I guess at this point
though you need to be making some serious comparision between Courier
and Cyrus.  There is allegedly a webmin style interface for Courier but
I have never used it.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk