[Gllug] Network traffic

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun Oct 13 13:27:25 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 11:21, Andy Loates wrote:

 > Hi
 >
 > Apologies for this simple question.
 >
 > My internet (ISDN) connection refuses to close down after the specified
 > idle time - 4 mins - ie some process is making it stay up.
 >
 > There is a utility/command that is similar to 'tail -f /var/log/---' for
 > files that shows you all network traffic as it occurs. I've used it
 > before but I must have thrown the reference to it away and no matter of
 > looking through manuals, Books, google etc can i find it.
 >
 > My connection has now been up for a day and a half, thank god for
 > Surftime 24/7, and as my security is for dial up i'm beginning to get
 > concerned.
Hi Andy,
This is my wild guess:-
As root in a text editor, add the line
daemon.debug;*.info
	/var/log/ppp_messages
to the /etc/syslog.conf file
Then at the command line type:-
killall -HUP syslogd
This should make sure that the daemon syslogd knows about the changes.
Then
cat /var/log/ppp_messages
should give the reply
Date... syslogd... restart.
Then further messages can be review with
tail -f /var/log/ppp_messages

Might not be what you want, but I hope it helps.
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk