[Gllug] HTTP CONNECT

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Oct 11 07:04:16 UTC 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 08:10:29PM +0100, Dean Wilson wrote:
> Something else to test while you are doing this is to try and do a "GET
> http://www.google.com/ HTTP/1.0" (Someone correct me if the get syntax is
> wrong, I'm not sure if the / on the end of the URL is needed) followed by

If you don't put the trailing slash, it will redirect you to that anyway, so
even when browsing normally (on a latency-bound link) it's faster to type
the trailing slash than to wait for the redirect.

> two returns. If you get the source for google then your server can be used
> as an HTTP relay. Not a huge problem(Not in terms of world peace and
> stuff.) but it does mean a third party can launch things like codered (or
> what ever this months version is) with your ip address showing up as the
> attacker.

The problem with running a proxy is that you may end up paying for someone
else's bandwidth.

>   Dean
> PS Lonix had a great venue, nice one Tushar. Curry house was shit though.

bummer that i missed it..

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk