[Gllug] Multiple IPs on one interface in RedHat

Paul paul at rbg.uklinux.net
Thu Oct 3 20:40:53 UTC 2002

I've got a RedHat 7.1 server with one ethernet card and an IP which is
in the process of being changed over. At the moment it the card has two
IP addresses, but the old one will be phased out soon:
I've done "/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 xx.yy.zz.tt" to create an interface
alias for the new IP address. This seems to work but how do I get it to
come up OK on reboot?

I think I need to add:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
with appropriate entries.

but what do I do with:
/etc/ifconfig/network?
at the moment it just says:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME="my.domain.com"
GATEWAY="111.222.333.444"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"
FORWARD_IPV4="no"

(where I've obfuscated the real IP/domain)

can I have this define two GATEWAY or GATEWAYDEV entries at once?
or do I need to switch over the gateway from one IP to the other at some
point?

I'm taking this slowly because I don't want to restart the networking
and lock myself out. If I have an ssh connection already open when I
restart the networking will it die or can I use it to rectify my
mistake?

I know also I'll have to tweak bind and apache but getting this wrong
isn't so crucial.

Paul.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk