Control of MX record - (Was - Re: [Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns)

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 12:14:19 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 September 2002 11:17 am, Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:

> > On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Colin Murphy wrote:
> > > Through the 123-reg web interface, I've only got access to change A
> > > and CNAME records.  Is this unusual?  If so, would this be peculiar
> > > to just .me.uk domains?  If I had bought a .co.uk would I have got
> > > more control?

> www.dotster.com - you can use them in conjunction with www.dyndns.org
> for total control over everything concerning your domain.... but no 39p
> per domain there though.

Do I have this problem because I was aiming for a cheap solution?

Does the feature I'm after, to control MX records,  have a name?

It doesn't sound like this is the standard route that most people would
take then to run a small home network.

Currently I just use a mail client, at the mo' KMail, but this is becoming
unwealdy for the multiple users the system is now having to cope with.  In
this case, would most people go with a combination of :-

1). Fetchmail to take pop mail from the 'mail forwarding' services that all
these domain name registration companies seem to offer and use.  Is there
a disadvantage to not taking mail directly - apart from relying on someone
elses servers?

2). Sendmail (or other MTA - debate later please) to send mail out.  This I
am keen to do because I was let down by the BlueYonder server which I
currently send this mail through.  This happened just when I needed it,
obviously.

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk