[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 10:41:58 UTC 2002

On Fri 20 Sep, Tethys wrote:

> >Possibly because ADSL is not 'reliable' yet, certainly based on the
> >number of faults we get which require an engineer to either kick the
> >DSLAM or go to the customer site to poke that end of things.
>
> Funny you should mention that. The BT engineer's just been round this
> morning to replace my faulty DSL router. Nice enough bloke, but not
> really "highly trained". Pinging the router was excessively slow, so
> I suggested he check the duplex on it. Sadly, he'd enver heard of
> duplex...
>
> Tet

   I was chatting to a BT engineer who was sitting in his van having a lunch
break. He was keen to learn more about ADSL, etc, but had zero help from BT.
He had been given a laptop equipped with a modem, with the suggestion that
he could take it home, learn about the internet, and let his kids play with
it. Every time they tried to do anything, up came a message asking "do you
really want to do that?"

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk