[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Technical Consultant / Architect requi red

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Sep 27 08:05:40 UTC 2002

>To patch Debian for the latest security patches you just type:- apt-get
>dist-upgrade.

See up2date(8). Not that I think either are wise for a corporate
environment. I *only* want security updates, I don't want the rest
of the fluff that may have changed since I installed the OS. Who
knows what side effects updating everything will have? Furthermore,
I don't want *anything* installed automatically. I want it downloaded,
and to be presented with a set of release notes, so I can see what's
changed, what's been fixed, and determine if it's appropriate for
the systems in question.

>Specifically one night I had to install the X3270 emulator on Red Hat,
>every time I thought I had the correct packages installed it would then
>ask me to install another one before it that it depends on.

Huh? x3270 (which I use fairly regularly myself, BTW) only depends on
XFree86-font-utils. Not sure what it could have been asking for...

>HP offer support contracts for Debian, I think you'll admit that they are a
>well known company.

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of that. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk