[Gllug] getting into the linux work scene

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 2 21:39:42 UTC 2002

Hi

I need advice from those in the know.........

I want to get into working with Linux/Unix systems, as a junior network admin.

I use linux at home (yeah, I'm posting from another box now Win2K via yahoo, but hear me out!). I'm learning C++ and sendmail.

At work I'm an applications developer with 1yr experience of php with oracle and adabas (a database in case you hadn't heard of it), javascript, unix scripting etc.

Though I feel this will not be wasted knowledge even if I started to delve more into networking I do feel a million miles away from getting a job with linux or even just unix (beggars can't be choosers).

I want to focus my time as best I can. What I want to know is: if you were hiring for a junior network admin, what do I need to add to my skillset to make you sit up and take notice?

I've thought about getting involved in linux community projects. Naturally I intend to go to llug meetings to learn more too. Are there any exams I can pass? I use slackware at home so I wouldn't want to do the Red Hat exam unless I had to (don't want to tie myself in to a distro) but this might not be realistic? What are the most respected certifications for the UK market? I have seen information on Linux+, LPI (seems well spoken of) and RHCE.

I hope I can benefit from the experience of others. Please don't flame me to go and learn sendmail etc first (!) as I am starting out on a road here and do need some pointers.

Thanks

Ben