[Gllug] Network maps

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Sep 27 09:43:57 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 10:22, Adam Bower wrote:
> Ok another question for the day.
>
> Does anybody know of any good network mapping/monitoring tools for linux
> that are free (as in beer would do at a real stretch) all I have found
> so far is this http://www.marko.net/cheops/ but it looks as though it is
> no longer maintained. I am about to give it a go and try and build and
> install it etc. but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Grin.
Adam, I did a lot of work with Cheops when at Framestore.
It was a very big part of my 'toolbox'

Cheops-ng is now available, and I use that now. (*)
http://cheops-ng.sourceforge.net/
Give it a try. I just downloaded the new version last week.

Cheops has a useful feature for simple monitoring - ie, you can ping,
or make an HTTP transfer, or SMTP or DNS on chosen machines at
given intervals of time (say five minutes). Cheops will alarm when
it misses a connection.
Sadly cheops-ng does not have the alarm feature yet.

Cheops-ng also has a cool featurein that you can have clients connect
from other machines - might be useful, but I don't use it.

I also did a good bit of work with Scotty when I first came to FS.

On the network monitoring side, if you are interested, I set up MRTG,
which Dave C and Mike Milne were quite interested in (**). I think there
is
a lot of use for MRTG in monitoring servers too.

I also used Opennms - back then, it was a bit difficult to install.
Now the install is a lot easier - I think they have dropped the
requirements for Tomcat. If you are interested I can help you through
an Opennms install - but you will need a beefy machine to run it on!
Opennms might well be just the thing for you for monitoring render
farms.

(*) Let's make it clear - CERN does have an extensive monitoring package
etc.
I just use Cheops personally to discovera and map for troubleshooting
reasons on machines I'm working on/developing.

(**) Is dinoco still on the go?

ps. Television Suisse Romande are showing Walking with Beasts.
I've missed it so far - but I hope to catch it in French tomorrow.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk