OT: [Gllug] Offsite Tape Storage

Walid Shaari ws at melinux.com
Wed Sep 4 09:02:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 17:15, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> John Hearns(john.hearns at cern.ch)@Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:54:44PM +0200:

> > That's the same reason why radioactive sources travel in cork-lined
> > containers - if the car or whatever catches fire, the cork layer should
> > give protection.
> >
> > ps. I'm not dead certain that cork is used in fire safes - we had two
> > for backup tapes in my last job, and I think they had cork in.
>
> sawdust and water are also used.

I used to work with radioactive sources in the oil field industry and
the container was filled with Grease/ Leaded depending on which
particles were emitted.  I do not recall the regulations in Fire cases,
which were supposed to be highly unlikely, but still shit does happen.
the main concern then was mishandling them/dropping them inside a well
which would mean abandon the whole area if it was not possible to fish
them back.

> for some interesting safe history, cast your eyes over:
>
>  http://www.timhunkin.com/94_illegal_engineering.htm

Walid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk