[Gllug] OT: conspiracy re. US Gov. and 911

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Sep 4 12:22:15 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> if everyone has this level of complacency (and i certainly do), then how
> much of an impact would an event have to have before we got involved in
> it.

Societies generally are complacent. In fact the better off the society the
more complacent it becomes - after all why rock the boat if you've got a
nice deckchair by the pool and plenty of booze.

Unfortunately the only way to properly address the imbalance is for us to
surrender some of our comfort - particularly price controls on imported
foods and materials. I don't see too many shoppers in Tesco welcoming the
resultant increases in prices across the board.

> a few thousand people slaughtered in a sky scraper is a bad thing, but
> thousands of people die every day in the third world.  yet we don't see
> the great American people rallying together to address that problem.

Being attacked in this manner will always have a more immediate and
powerful affect. Face it - the US is a vast country (>280million people
and so much geography!) and is separated from the rest of us by two
oceans. It is also an immature nation. It is natural that they should be
rather insular.

If people are interested in the question of what has to happen before
real effective action is taken to address global poverty then look closer
to home.

Consider how our country keeps so many others down with massive interest
charges on debt and supports EU policies that force down prices in
developing countries exclusively to benefit us (citizens of EU member
states).

Even closer to home what do we do about those who live in poverty in our
own towns? The conditions that give rise to the hared underlying terrorism
are not exclusively "over there". They are right here too.

I am not claiming to have solutions however I think that always looking to
someone else to deal with matters is a large part of the problem.

Jason
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/	 	   professional hosting and colocation