[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Sep 12 15:58:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 16:38, Sean Burlington wrote:
> of course its only one form of communication  and I'm really worrying
> about what may be happening in 10-20 years time when maybe all
> communication will be internet based nad subject to filtering.
> But then it depends on which kind of world you'd rather grow up in

Once they're old enough we won't filter or check their email, but until
they're of an age where they're old enough to handle some of the stuff
which can come through email it's my responsibility to protect them from
it. (let's face it there's stuff which appears in spam these days that
adults really don't want to see.)

> personally I'd rather liberty but then I don't have kids and from what I
> hear it's a process that can alter your perceptions ;)

Indeed.

> How do your kids react to your filtering - any problems or are they glad
> to be free from annoyance ?

Had a discussion with the eldest when she first got the address (she was
eight at the time I think), she objected in the strongest terms to the
filtering until we explained _why_ we filtered/checked her email.

We also stated the three conditions under which the checks would be
removed

1) We think she's old / mature enough.

2) She can afford
	computer
	power
	phone
	account
	anything else needed
	old enough to enter in a legal contract with suppliers for all
	the above (ie 16/18 >:)

3) She's able to get root on flyhmstr (the mail/news server) remotely
   from within the network (or even better from outside the firewall) at
   which point I can't stop her anyway and I get someone else to help
   with the network admin in the house.

Of course it's worth remembering that these are the kids wanting the M$
games box in their room to have linux installed as a dual boot because
they like the games >:)

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/