[Gllug] time for a change

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Sep 27 08:48:39 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:
>>Any suggestions for an alternative OS/Distro?
>

> The obvious answer is to try them all. I've advocated this before here.
> Acquiring knowledge of as many different OSes as possible is IMHO an
> excellent idea. Make you machine multi-boot, and try each of them.
> I'd suggest at least Linux, one of the BSDs (personally, I like OpenBSD),
> and possibly some of the others (Plan 9, GNU/HURD, etc.)

Aaah no, I have plenty of experience of them (well not plan9 or
GNU/Hurd) but I want a change to one new desktop and not lots of them as
I have work that needs to get done, I just want something that I can
play with in my spare time also :)

I am leaning towards Gentoo at the moment but I tried it a version or
two back and it broke something quite nastily on my system, although I
think I could attribute this possibly to Grub. The only thing with
Gentoo is that it is a Linux and I don't know if it will really give me
much to do with it although I am hoping that if i do go that way
building an optimised system may give me a little extra speed.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk