[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Sep 12 12:46:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 12:24, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Thu 12 Sep, Tom Gilbert bloviated thus:
> > Ugh. This is highly offensive to people sending you mail. Frankly when I
> > get messages bounced from people saying "send the message again with
> > this SECRIT PASSWORD so I can add you to my whitelist", I never send
> > them another mail.

Also a sod where you've mailed someone and not added them to the
whitelist, I've had the situation where I'm replying to someone and got
a 'you must do $FOO to get your mail delivered' and to be frank it's
only because it's someone I've know for a long time that I bothered
otherwise they'd end up in the procmail filter to /dev/null.

> Well that's okay, I don't want to talk to you anyway :P  Seriously,
> if someone really does want to talk to me, they'll follow the (simple)
> instructions.  Failing that, I'll get around to checking the junk box
> and add them to the whitelist.

Challenge-response IMHO is no better than spam in that you are shifting
the cost of spam and keeping your mailbox clean to people who want to
talk to you, mostly innocent third parties and not the spammers.

It would have to be an important email for me to go through the hoops of
challenge-response for anyone, including family.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk