[Gllug] rxvt setting default for -sl

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Sep 13 10:55:19 UTC 2002

>Is there a way I can set a larger default for savelines in rxvt?  I know I can
>start it with "rxvt -sl 200" etc, but was wondering if there is a way to set
>the default as larger with out recompiling.

Put the following line in your .Xdefaults:

	Rxvt*saveLines:     200

>Also am I correct to use rxvt rather than xterm or some other terminal
>program?

There's pros and cons to various terminal emulators. The traditional
reason for using rxvt (and xvt before it) was reduced memory usage,
compared to xterm (mostly due to the lack of a Tektronics emulator).
These days, it's put on a bit of weight, but it still lighter than
many of the alternatives. I measured a bunch a few weeks ago, and
came up with the following memory usage (in KB):

* 496:  xterm
* 296:  rxvt
* 856:  gnome-terminal
* 140:  gnome-terminal --use-factory
* 1068: konsole
* 160:  konsole (first new tab)
* 36:   konsole (subsequent new tabs)

>I have noticed when I ssh to other servers I get terminal error
>messages when I try to run things like vi, less. I don't get this if
>I'm using xterm to do th e ssh, so use xterm when I need to use ssh.

This is because the remote machine you're conencting to doesn't have
an rxvt entry in its termcap/terminfo database. You don't need to
use an xterm to get around this, just persuade the remote machine
that you are:

	TERM=xterm ssh remotehost

Alternatively, you could intall a suitable entry for rxvt on the remote
machine, but that's now always possible.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk