[Gllug] Modems again

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 19:33:35 UTC 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Chris Bell stated:
>    Unfortunately, what people talk of as "Linux" is not like that. Much of
> the distributions is additional to the Linux core, and there is so much of
> it that it is not a question of n days work and you are suddenly awarded
> guru status, rather that the more you know the more you know that you don't
> know.

Oh fuck yes. The seas of my ignorance, for instance, are unbounded... maybe
if I had a thousand years of life I'd be able to learn about this system in
complete detail. Less than that, no chance.

>    I was getting to know Debian 2.2, but with over 4000 packages on offer I
> was only scratching the surface. Now I am suddenly confronted with Debian
> 3.0, offering more than 8600 packages, many of them much expanded and
> improved.

And then there's the guts of those packages, and then there's lots of
Deep Admin Lore...

Ah, Unix. Maintained by black magic and rumour. ;}

>    This does not mean that I am unable to recognise some problems, and try
> to remember what I did so that I can offer help, but that does not make me
> an expert, a guru, or anything other than just another learner.

There are merely questions, and sometimes you find you know the answer to
some of the questions...

(or think you do but find you're actually spouting tosh, something which
I have managed repeatedly in the past :( )

(this is, of course, all the collective `you' ;} )

--
`Let's have a round of applause for those daring young men
 and their flying spellcheckers.' --- Meg Worley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk